How can I get a custom look?
There are many ways to do this without the high cost or hassle:
- Mix patterns and fabrics, as shown here.
- Paint a design on cotton panels, as shown on the opposite page.
- Create a pretty and functional tieback out of ribbon, rope, or a piece of fabric.
- Hem panels to the length of café curtains, which only cover the lower half of the window.
- Add decorative trim to the edges of panels.
How high do I hang the rod?
Consider these pointers when choosing rod height:
- Hang a rod as high as possible to make a low ceiling seem higher.
- Position a rod just above the window, as shown here, to make a room with high ceilings feel more intimate.
- Raise the eye a bit by hanging the rod halfway between the window and the ceiling.
Why would I use a cornice?
Think about how a cornice, which crowns a window and imparts horizontal dimension, could help you:
- add an architectural element to a plain wall.
- create a slightly more formal appearance.
- hide a basic rod that holds the curtains.
How can I add subtle pattern?
If you want to add interest using patterns, but you don’t want them to be overpowering, try these options:
- Choose a patterned valance or café curtain (shorter pieces of fabric instead of long panels).
- Paint a simple shade with stripes, as shown here, or any other design.
- Add a patterned ribbon for trim on a plain panel.