Create a sturdy frame with rustic charm.
1. To create each frame, measure from the picket’s pointed end, and then cut four 24-inch-long pieces from the 4-inch-wide picket-fence boards.
2. On a flat surface, arrange the pieces to form an 8-inchsquare opening (as shown). Join the pieces with wood glue and two #8 x 11/4-inch wood screws at each intersection, drilling from the back.
3. Lightly sand the frame. Paint one side (we used Valspar Ultra Premium, Whitewashed Oak #7006-23, flat, and Valspar Signature Colors, Laura Ashley Home, Sky Blue 4 #LA1304, flat); allow to dry. Paint the other side, and allow it to dry overnight. Lightly distress the finish using sandpaper.
4. Remove the protective film from two 8- x 10-inch clear acrylic panels (#72055). Center a photo between the panels. Place the panels on the back of the frame, with 1 inch overlapping the top and bottom pickets. Predrill holes for screws using a 3/16-inch bit. Secure the panels to the top and bottom pickets using chrome clips (#138888) and #6 x 1/2-inch wood screws.
5. Attach two picture hangers (#52716) to the back of each frame for hanging.